Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Peer Pressure

Why does peer pressure always get a bad rap? In this case I like it.

First, let me preface this by saying if there is one time in my life when the neighbors might suspect me of being an abusive mother it is when I give haircuts. Oh the wails that come from my little ones. It's like I was ripping off their fingernails one by one. They cry, they scream, they tell me I am a bad mom, that I am hurting them. And then 6 weeks later they are shaggy and we have to do it all again. They usually get too shaggy before we do it because of the screaming.

Yesterday as we were driving home from school Jack said to me "mom-I want a haircut."

"Excuse me-could you repeat that?" I asked.

"I want a hair cut."

OK, sounds great! But I asked for an explanation. It seems the kids at school were "laughing at his hair." (Which truthfully has been sticking out kind of funny this week.) He told me that Eric said to him "you're hair looks kind of cool" and to Jack, apparently, that equaled "being laughed at" and ended in a desire for a haircut. So, a haircut he got and not a word of complaint came from his mouth. Love it.

Now, if someone would PLEASE tease him a little about sucking his thumb...

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I am actually surprised that no one has teased him about sucking his thumb yet. It's a childhood teasing classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I just remembered my boys got out of haircuts for like the fourth time since I promised them I was going to give them! Now they're in bed and it's too late! Maybe I will wait until they come begging for one, too! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you could pass some of that on to James. We literally debated whether it would be better to try to cut it while he was asleep or just hold him down screaming a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Kids are ridiculous--there is nothing in the world I love more than a haircut. It makes me feel all fresh and new again. By the way, I have your rummikub game from the oldies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Midwest Winter is killing me! I've lost the will to blog -- we've seriously done nothing noteworthy. At least when you are moving, starting a new job, and having a baby you'll have things to blog about! :)

    Love (and miss) that Jack!

    ReplyDelete