Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Compassion

I need to get this recorded because it is just so sweet.

Several times lately Dallen has shown what we think is amazing compassion or awareness of others for a child of just 22 months.

One day I was sitting at the kitchen table next to him while he ate breakfast. Daddy was in the kitchen and all of a sudden Dallen went to him saying "mama, fweeeeeeeen." (Translation-mama drink.) Josh looked at him strangely because, first of all, Josh is daddy, not mama, and second, Dallen already had a drink. Josh tried to explain this to him but he kept asking. I said to Josh, "I think he might be wanting to give me a drink" so Josh filled up a cup for me and handed it to Dallen, who immediately grinned and turned to me with the drink and handed it to me.

Josh and I looked at each other rather surprised. How does a 22 month old notice that mom doesn't have something that he thinks she might want? I know it is a small thing, but at that age I think it is huge. That seems abnormal for a kid this age. But he just keeps doing it. Today he got me a bowl of cereal and brought it to me, he has done several things for Josh.

I have to say, I just love this little Dallen guy. Seeing this kind of love in a child this small makes me excited to see what he is like as he gets older. Who wouldn't love this kid?

2 comments: