Monday, November 23, 2009

Heal me or Kill me?

As I mentioned a couple of months ago, Josh suprised me with a plane ticket to Madison to see my friends for a few days. Last night I got home from my trip.

Before I went Josh and I debated what the trip would do to me...I thought it might kill me. To see all those wonderful and amazing friends and then to have to walk away and leave them again. I didn't know if I could do that.

Josh thought it would heal me. He thought that I would go there, enjoy seeing my friends but somehow realize that I had been idealizing it in my mind and so I would be healed-my little broken missing Madison heart would be healed.

I thought about this a lot during the time that I was there. How would I feel when I left? Would my heart break again or would it be healed? I think in the end the trip did neither. One thing is certain-I didn't come to the conclusion that I had been idealizing the place. No-everything was just as I remembered it. Warm and friendly and fun. Though I was reminded that with the amazing friendship and comradery there comes germs. When you spend everyday among friends and their kids everyone gets sick-all together. There was a massive outbreak of hand, foot and mouth years ago. I don't miss that.

And it was glorious to see these friends. I literally saw probably 50-60 friends. People I love and treasure. And yes, it was hard to walk away from them again. Very hard. And I still miss them and always will. But I guess I realized that they are still my friends, even if we live 2000 miles apart. And that there are benefits to living in San Diego-like wonderful weather, lots to do, a great school, etc.

So in the end it neither killed me or healed me. It was just plain fun!

2 playgroups, a wild and crazy (and I do mean wild and crazy-I haven't laughed so hard since the last time I went a year and a half ago) book club, a trip to New Moon with 30, yes, I said 30 ladies (see picture below) followed by a late night trip to a wing's joint, another quieter girl's night out, staying with a fun friend, dinner with a cute family, SYTYCD with two pals, Babcock ice cream, Chin's Asian, and some down time to relax. Oh, and church on Sunday. It was wonderful. I love you Madison friends-you are amazing people.

4 comments:

  1. I think it killed all of us! We remembered how much we miss you! You are such a great friend...it was so fun to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow. I don't even think I know that many people, let alone have that many friends. Funnest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there too, BUT one good thing came out of it for me, my scriptures!! Yipeee!

    ReplyDelete