Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to School

It was a little rough to go back to school this year. When you don't know anyone it can be pretty daunting. This hit Nathan just after we tucked him into bed the night before school started. And then he started to worry. I reassured him that both daddy and I had been in the same shoes at least once in our lives and that yes, it was going to be hard but that he could do it and that I would be praying for him. Little did he know that his mommy was probably even more worried for him than he was. It's hard to go to school and not know anyone! The thought of my baby boy wandering around the playground alone was heartbreaking.

Jack on the other hand was totally pumped. I don't know if it was the new backpack or what, but he had no fear.

Turns out that everything went really well. Jack made a new best friend the very first day. His name is Jackson and Jack says its like they are twins! :) Nathan, poor sweet thing, walked in the cafeteria and sat down near some random people. Then he spotted a girl he knew from church and went and sat down near her but she didn't notice him and then he noticed a boy from Cub Scouts and went to him and they clicked and have played together every day since! Oh how that makes my heart happy.

Anyway, here are some pictures from Day 1:

And this year's back to school cake. Every year I make some sort of cake for a celebration that night. This year I decided to simplify and instead of the grand idea I had for a pencil cake made with fondant, I stuck some school supplies on a basic 2 layer and I think it turned out really fun!


2 comments:

  1. So glad it went well and that they have both made a good friend! One good friend is all it takes to make a year. Such a cute cake Amber- you are a great Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuties! Was Dal jealous? Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete