Monday, February 9, 2009

Highlights of the Past Week

I have several things to write about tonight so I will just highlights of a few things from the past week.

1. We have planted a garden! This is the first time we have had the space to do a garden so we figured we would give it a whirl. I can't even describe how much fun it has been for me and Jack in particular (since we have done most of it while Nathan is at school and Josh is at work and Dal is asleep) to work on this. There is something very fulfilling about working the earth with your own two hands. And Jack likes the worms. He made a worm house and gave each worm we found a role. In fact, if you are an important person in Jack's life, you probably had a worm named after you.

Here is Jack with his worm house (pile of dirt on the left side of the picture next to Jack's shoulder).


Here is a shot of what our little garden plot looked like before me and Jack attacked (this isn't the actual spot because I didn't get a pic of it before we started, but this is what it looked like with this plant growing all over it).


And here is a picture that Jack took of me working in the garden. Impressive photography isn't it?


And here is a picture of our garden after we all (the whole fam) spent a few hours planting on Saturday. We planted tomatoes, radishes, carrots, green peppers, jalapenos, strawberries, beans, cilantro, lettuce and garlic. We are still going to plant pumpkins, cucumbers and peas in another spot.


2. (This is going to be a long post I can tell already. I am told my brother Doug hates long blog posts. Guess what Doug? I also leave my milk out sometimes after I drive home from the store and I even sometimes fix my boys lunch before I even get it out of the car-then I put it away. And, it's skim.)

3. Dal took his first steps this past weekend. Just a few timid steps but we were all so excited for him. Then tonight he took 7 steps! I think he will be walking pretty soon! Here is a video of him standing and clapping for himself (his new favorite pasttime).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImjwYi9xKpY

4. I have friends! We moved in exactly 6 months ago today and as I was cleaning the kitchen tonight I was pondering the fact that I am finally really starting to feel at home here. On Friday night I went out with 3 really wonderful friends-moms of kids at Nathan's school and two of them are neighbors. I sat there at dinner and thought what a wonderful thing it is to have these three ladies in my life. They really are amazing. And then last night I went to a fireside with several other girls. At one point one of them thought something was funny and looked over at me with a big smile and it hit me...these are friends now-no longer just people I am getting to know! Yay!

4. I am spoiled. It is rainy and cold in San Diego and I am sick of it. Where is the sunny and 70 degree weather we love?

5. We had a fun family home evening tonight acting out the story where Nephi chops off Laban's head. That was fun-especially the part where Jack (Laman) started yelling at Laban that he has lasers for eyes and could kill him. I didn't think that was part of the story. Then we had a fun Valentine's treat. Kind of a bad pic but I was so proud of it that I had to take a picture.



6. Last, this morning because it was rainy and yuck, me and Jack laid in my bed and read stories and then played I spy. One of our interchanges went something like this:

Me: I spy with my little eye someone who is really nice, lots of fun to play with, cooks really great things...

Jack: Daddy!

Me: No! I meant ME!

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I am envious of the fact that you can plant a garden in February. Plus I got a good chuckle about the Doug-milk thing. I don't get my milk in immediately either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great week. I have to figure out how I am going to get a garden in this little yard of mine! Funny I just remembered my milk in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be fun to have a garden, but then I would have to eat everything myself! I think our connection in our old house was much slower and it took our videos a lot longer to upload. Sometimes I would walk away and come back several hours later. I still do that here, although it doesn't seem to take as long. I think the longer video took about an hour today. Also I don't have my camera set on the highest setting so the videos are not as great of quality but they also don't take as long to upload.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fact: You people are disgusting. How can you let your milk fester in the heat then drink it? Do you not love your children enough to give them fresh milk?

    Also do you really think those are acceptable work shoes? If you where are on my job site I would kick you off. Jack – I want to ask you to take charge as safety officer of the garden and make sure everyone follows all the safety rules.

    ReplyDelete