Thursday, January 14, 2010

Loveable Little Cutie

This morning as Dal climbed tenderly and gently (as tenderly and gently as a 2 year old can) over me to snuggle up next to me as I lay, slightly invalided (I just created a new word) on the couch, I was struck by the memory that two years ago this very morning I also lay, not on a couch but on a bed, slightly invalided, with Dal in my arms.

Yes, and Tuesday night, as I lay on a hospital gurney I was struck with the memory that two years previously on that same night I also laid on a hospital gurney, waiting for something to come out of me. No luck for me that night two years ago though. I had to wait another 26 hours for that to happen.

Today is Dal's birthday, although given the current situation in our home we are going to wait until Saturday to celebrate. But I couldn't let this day pass without reminiscing about my sweet little angel.

Dal was the roughest of my babies so far. Forty two hours of labor, and no, I am not exaggerating, my most painful delivery, the most difficult of my babies what with his reflux and issues with dairy in the beginning, but over and over I am struck by just how worth it he is.

Of course that sounds cliche because every mother feels that way about her child. But Dal is a bright spot in my life every single day. When he was little I got in the habit of singing "You are my Sunshine" to him every night at bed and the words ring true. He is my little sunshine.

Sure, this little sunshine is turning 2 and with that comes the glories of tantrums and opinions, but let's just say that after dealing with one of his brothers before him (I won't name names), Dal is a walk in the park. (And of course I love afore-mentioned un-named brother for many various reasons as well-his state as a 2 year old simply not being one of them.)

I was asking Dal's two grandmother's for words to describe him for a project I am working on and the words they came up with are "loveable" and "little cutie." How else can you describe this little guy? He is a charmer, a people person, he has his own fan club and I think it is a toss up to determine whether cousin Laura or neighbor Tala is the President (with Josh and I of course being the founders of the club).

There is nothing more to say about this kid but that he is sweet, fun, loveable, compassionate, kind, adorable, wonderful. He has dimples and blue eyes to top it all off. I am just flat out in love.

Lately Dal likes to sing to himself. In the car the other day he was singing 'Ho yo, ho yo, pirate's life for me." Sometimes he hits, but honestly, the look on his face when he hits me makes me want to laugh so much that it is hard to get mad at him.

The one other big personality trait of Dal that must be mentioned, is that he wants to be exactly like his big brothers. Anything they say or do is gospel to him and he WILL do it too-do not ask any other questions. You will not stop him from being one of the boys. And one of the boys he is. I am so glad.

I love him. I am so amazingly glad that he became a part of my life two years ago today. My little perfection.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dallen. You really are a little cutie - have a fun time celebrating! Love, Grandma Price

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME!! I am the president--ME! And that Talla better not forget it. :) Water rules, baby! I am seriously obsessed with him. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love his eyes in that picture. what a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what's the deal?? Where do grandmas rank in the fan club?? Surely above cousins and neighbors!!

    ReplyDelete