Friday, July 1, 2011

Update on Adam (and me)

Adam is 10 days old now, would have been full term today and is still a dream. I love him, have I mentioned that?

I thought it might be time for an update on how things are going.

Adam is still at the hospital in the special care nursery. I was discharged last Saturday. Since then I have been going to the hospital 4 times a day to feed him. The other 4 feeds he gets through a feeding tube in his nose.

At first I was told I had to do every other feed by mouth, the opposite feed by the feeding tube. This meant going to the hospital at 10:30 p.m. and then waking up to pump around 2 and then going back to the hospital at 4:30 a.m. followed by a 10:30 a.m. and then again at 4:30. We did that for a few days and may I say, that was exhausting, especially for someone trying to recover from a c-section. Now we go just during the day, instead of the middle of the night, 4 times.

So, when we go for a feed, I nurse him as much as I can get him to do. Then he tries a bottle (that is new in the past few days) and then anything else (he always has a set amount he is supposed to eat-right now he is up to 47 grams) he gets through his feeding tube. 

Adam has to eat at least 75% of his feed by mouth in order to get his feeding tube removed and move to entirely by mouth feeds. Yesterday he hit the 75% mark for the first time. Today he has done 100% of all mouth feeds on his own! The entire thing, no feeding tube at all. Tonight he did his entire feed just nursing, no bottle. This kiddo is clearly getting strong enough for this.

The neonatologist gave the go ahead today to move to all mouth feeds. This means he gets to try eating every time, if he won't do it, he gets it through the tube. I am frustrated because I let the nurse do one feed today (one of the ones I don't usually come for) and he only did 19 grams. I think if I had been there I could have gotten him to do much more.

Anyway, I suspect he will be home soon. Very soon. And I can't wait. I am going to rock him and snuggle him endlessly. He is so tiny and so sweet. I can't get a good picture in the nursery but I promise many pictures once he is home.

In the meantime, my incision has been causing some issues. Because of my low platelets I bled way too much and had lots of old blood under the incision. The Dr. has been threatening to reopen my incision and clean it out. UGH! I was really praying to not have that happen.

Wednesday night my incision started to bleed. Conveniently I was on my way to the hospital for a feed at that time so I just went down to labor and delivery. They called the Dr. who said to patch me up the best they could and have me come into his office the next day.

The next morning I REALLY started to bleed, but we started to notice it was old looking blood. Long story short, when I got to the Dr.'s office it turns out that my incision had not opened but was oozing (sorry, that's pretty gross) out the old blood underneath it. It was actually exactly what I wanted to have happen in the way I least expected it. Love it!

So, all is well here. Hopefully we will have a sweet little baby in our midst soon. I am hoping so much that he will be home by the 4th of July, but at least by Tuesday or Wednesday I think. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. So glad things are looking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed by your faith, courage, and resilience. It's so challenging to be heading to the hospital every three hours on almost no sleep for hour long feedings while still trying to recover from a C-section. I can't even imagine it. You're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I second what Josh said. And third, fourth, and fifth it, to boot. Seriously, you must be one strong mama! I like hearing your positive updates. Good news, whether it's mine or someone else's, makes me smile. Thanks for passing that along!

    ReplyDelete