Sunday, July 12, 2009

4th of July

For the past 5 years we spent the 4th of July with Josh's parents at their house in Neenah, WI. We had fun traditions and we had good times with them, so as the 4th was approaching I realized some planning needed to be done since we didn't have the traditions all set up here in San Diego. I think our planning went well because we had quite the 4th of July weekend...

Friday night we watched fireworks at our church with ward friends on the back mulch pile. The high school just down the way was shooting them off that night and the church back parking lot had a perfect view so we laid out our blankets, ate treats and enjoyed fireworks. Our favorite was the smiley face one-never saw one of those before!

Saturday morning we headed back to the church with Nathan and Jack and their highly decorated bikes for the bike parade (which never was-did I mention we spent probably an hour and a half decorating their bikes for the parade that never was?) and of course Dallen too. Grandma had sent flag shirts for the boys...wouldn't it be nice if I had a cute picture of all three boys wearing their flags shirts, a nice pair of shorts and smiling at the camera? This was not to be because Jack refused to wear his shirt (and still has yet to wear it). No, he was a fire fighter-just in case you know? And Nathan wore his with a green striped shirt under his. Alas.
But I do have cute pictures of the boys with their bikes:


Saturday afternoon we had cousin Laura and Sam over for dinner and oh what a dinner it was! Marinated/grilled chicken and beef kabobs, corn on the cob, potato salad, red, white and blue jello, star shaped brownies drizzled with red, white and blue frosting, and fruit.


Then, me being the smart, amazing, radiant, fun and did I mention good looking mom that I am, thought of the brilliant idea to go to our favorite spot-the glider port in La Jolla and sure enough, we could see fireworks being shot from La Jolla Cove out over the ocean. It was beautiful and not crowded and probably the best place I have ever watched fireworks from.

Oh, and me and Laura beat Sam and Josh at a game of hand and foot-badly. They have yet to beat us in a single hand of that game. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that was fun! I forgot I had pictures of Dallen chowing down on corn. Cutest. We need to hang out soon--I am going into Amber withdrawals. When do you guys leave for Colorado? P.S. I made those cookies last night--I have eaten at least 20 since then . . . SO GOOD!!!!! They are our new favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I wish cousin SARAH could've been there!!

    ReplyDelete