Saturday, July 4, 2009

And I won't forget the men who died...

At the close of this fun filled 4th of July-full of pancakes and parades, potato salad and fireworks, friends and fun, I finished the day when something caught my eye and reminded me what it is all about.

This might sound silly, but I just finished reading Rilla of Ingleside, the 8th and final book in the Anne of Green Gables series and it made me stop and realize what protecting a country really means. The book takes place during World War I and the male characters are all heading off to war to defend their country (in this case Canada, but still). As I read this fictious account of a real event, I realized that what they were fighting for and willing to die for is something worth fighting and dying for. And it made me appreciate it all the more in a way that I hadn't thought about before.

So tonight I am grateful for the men who died who gave this country to me-and to all of us. This country is a great place in spite of what all some political, slandering minded people might have us believe at times. I am proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment