Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fiesta!

Tonight at Nathan's school there was a Family Fiesta-just a free event that involved traditional Mexican dancing and then the kids making a puppet. Never would I have guessed the sheer enjoyment that would come from this night...

After watching several traditional dances involving lots of neat stomping in shoes that made nice clicking sounds (by men and women) and waving of large and fancy dresses and fans (by just the women), they asked if any kids would like to come up and try dancing too. I was sitting next to Nathan at this point and Jack was across the cafeteria with Josh. I asked Nathan if he wanted to go dance and he said no.

We watched as several little girls rushed to the "stage" to dance. And then, I caught a glimpse of a little boy-a wiry and small little boy in gray shorts and a gray shirt-up there with the girls. Wait! That's my Jack!!

And there he stood, among all the girls as the lady lead them in toe taps and foot stomps and spins-looking both awkward and adorable at the same time. He even did some of the dances when he wasn't busy rolling his shirt up so that everyone could see his belly or ahem-scratching himself.

At one point I counted 13 girls up there-and Jack. He kept glancing over at me with a sweet and shy look on his face and when he was done I have him a big high five and told him I never knew what a great dancer he was. It was at that point that Nathan announced he wished he too had gone up to dance.

You just never know what to expect from Jack. Never would I have guessed that he would get up on stage all alone (meaning without Nathan by his side) to "dance" in front of a crowd of onlookers. It was the highlight of my week.

3 comments:

  1. Rolling up his shirt and scratching himself?!?! HA! That made me laugh out loud. I love traditional dances. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad that there aren't any pictures!! But I can picture it in my mind and am loving it!! What brave boy to go do that by himself. I don't think that I would have the courage to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the images this post put in my head...especially of Jack scratching himself on stage while surrounded by dancing little girls! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete