Thursday, August 13, 2009

On to Denver

Finally it is time to post about our Denver trip. In some ways it was a fiasco, in some ways it was paradise.

Before we left on our long road trip I typed out that blog post a few posts back about everything breaking. As I finished writing, a feeling of doom swept over me as I realized that we were about to embark on a 1000 mile each way road trip and I had just mentioned that Murphy's Law seemed to be happening in our lives. Oh no-what was our trip going to bring?

We spent our day and a half in UT as mentioned in the previous post. Sunday morning we went to Sacrament Meeting and then hit the road for Denver with a goal to be there by about 6:30 or so because all of my family (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) were gathering for a party. We were making amazing time-flying down the road, going to hit Denver early.

Bam-an hour out of Denver we come to an almost complete stop, crawled along the highway at 5-10 miles an hour, and what should have taken a one hour journey became 3. To add to our joy, Jack desperately announced that he had to go potty. And not just any kind of potty but I won't go into details. Let's just say it was urgent and not the easy kind of urgent.

Luckily we were near a rest stop so we stopped. Got back on the road and crawled along. Finally got past all the traffic 2 hours (only 10 miles) later when Jack again announced a desperate need to go to the bathroom. We raced for a potty and again were lucky-found one quickly.

Got to my family gathering about 2 hours after it began and got to stay for 20-30 minutes is all. Then we headed "home" to Grandma and Grandpa's house. And then...Jack started throwing up. I guess the potty breaks should have been a sign but I didn't catch on. And then Josh started throwing up. And then Nathan. Oh the joy. And just for the record, I am not someone who deals well with throw up. At all. See my list of dislikes at the top right of this blog? Not something I deal well with.

Anyway, Monday in Denver was shot because of sickies. Although by Monday night everyone was feeling mostly better so we spent the evening in my parents' backyard hanging out on the hammock and chatting. Can I just say that there is nothing better than a summer evening in Colorado? Nothing.

Anyway, the rest of week progressed a little better other than random things like tornado sirens waking us up in the night (which is a really freaky sound in the middle of the night), being up in the night with Jack time after time after time for his potty issues, pizza stores that we wanted to get pizza at burning down, my sister in law and nephew getting sick as well, that sort of thing.

The highlights of the trip included:

Boating/beaching at Cherry Creek (Lake)
Several trips to the pool
Playing cards with Granny and Gramps (one of my all time favorite things to do)
Getting to hold and snuggle my 2 month old Nephew Michael
Being outside in the evening
Badminton in the front yard
Playing games with all my brothers and parents
Going out to lunch with Josh at Fuddruckers
And just being with family

I don't have many pics of the trip and I know some people don't believe in blog posts without pictures, but I wanted to record this trip either way. Here are a few pictures:

The quality on this picture is not good, but I love the shot. Think he is actually going to make contact with that ball?

Grandma Allen (sorry, no pics of Grandpa that turned out)
And this one-we attempted to get a shot of the 5 grandsons. No one was excited about that!

3 comments:

  1. I love the last picture, it's just too bad Nathan wasn't at least smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, that last picture is classic! We tried to get a photo with all the grandkids on Sam's side and not ONE turned out. :) Sorry about the sickies. Lucky you missed out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nightmare, Amber! By some twist of fate, I think you're experiencing my trials for me right now. I appreciate it, because I can't take a lot of stress when I'm pregnant. :) Hope things are better!

    ReplyDelete