Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Polkas, Kazoos and Germs

This year, for the first time in hmmm, maybe 5 years, we went to Josh's mom's side of the family's reunion in Utah. We had toyed with the idea of driving to Denver to see my family anyway and when we realized we could time it to hit the Family Reunion in UT we decided to go for it.

We spent about a day and a half in UT is all, but it was fun to see family. We stayed with Josh's grandparents in their better than a five star hotel basement. Seriously-the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. It was fun to be there with them AND to make things even better, Josh's parents were in town (they left San Diego and went straight to UT and then we followed them there just a few days later) and Josh's sister and her husband and son were there, so we had the entire gang for the first time in forever.

The reunion involved a cleanup Grandma Delma's yard involving cutting down tree branches and dragging them out of the yard. My boys were all over this! They LOVED helping and I loved that they had a chance to serve and feel good about it. Then, after a lunch of sloppy joes and salads and cheetos, we went to a church building where the families put on a program.

Josh's dad is a hugely talented musician and poet, who for some reason can whip up a full length polka complete with lyrics and music in the course of an afternoon and then teach it to us all and we perform. This musical number was definitely the hit of the program and included some mean kazoo playing by myself, Nathan and Jack. We still have the chorus running through our heads...Nicholas and Mary, came across the sea. Walked from there to Utah, 1863.

Ahh, and the title of the post mentions germs. It would appear that someone at the Webb reunion, or someone who sucked on a kazoo and then passed it off to the next lucky player was harboring some nice germs. But we will hear more about that at a later time.

For now, here are just a couple of pics from our Utah trip.

The family:
The Great Grandparents with the 4 grandsons:
Seriously, do kids get any cuter than this? I don't think so.

Oh, and don't worry. We fit in a trip to Cafe Rio during that day and a half. :) And we had Smart Cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Rio AND Smart Cookie! Rachel will be proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cafe Rio . . . I want that. :) I must say, after I heard about the germs, maybe I am glad that I didn't come along. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not loving that Daniel standing on my pants in the family picture makes me look a little larger than in real life...at least I HOPE it makes me look a little larger than in real life! It's been just over a week since I stopped singing the polka chorus. Thanks for the reminder...ONE MORE TIME! Oh! Niiiiicholaaaas and Maryyyyyyyy. Caaaaaame across the seeeeeeeaaaa....

    ReplyDelete