Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Day in the Life...

For a while now I have been wanting to record what I do in a "typical" day-with all the details from morning to night just so that I can save it and remember what life was like at this stage. I want to do this a couple of times a year maybe-I think it will be fun to look back on someday and I think it would be fun to get a peek into other people's days, so here is a peek into mine.

I was concerned though that if I knew the day I was going to do it I would skew the results by making it a stellar day on purpose just so I could report that. So, I asked Josh a few weeks ago to come home from work one day and say "today is your 'day in the life'" and then I would record details of that day that night. Well, he forgot that whole week. And then my mother in law was in town and that wouldn't reflect a typical day. And then I had no space bar. So, I asked him again this week to surprise me with which day I should record details of. Being the scientist that he is, he actually generated some sort of random number selector so that HE wouldn't skew the results either, and TODAY IS THE DAY!

This may be way too many details for you, but hey, my grandma might at least like it. And maybe my posterity will to:

6:52-Wake up to Dal crying (never a good sign if he is crying when he wakes up, although since the freeway runs below our house and the traffic makes a lot of noise I don't always hear him right away, so that might be why). By the way, this is the first night in a long time that none of our kids were up sometime in the night to go potty, with a fever, needing a snuggle, to sleep on our floor (Nathan does that regularly), etc.

6:53- Bring Dal into my bed in hopes of a morning snuggle. (I can hear the other two in their room playing.) He has other ideas. He cries, flails his body, is inconsolable no matter what I do. I sigh and get up. Put Dal on the floor (he screams) so I can put in contacts, brush teeth, etc. while he claws at my legs and cries.

7- Bring Dal downstairs and feed him a PB and syrup waffle and get him a "didi" (drink). Now he cheers up. Make waffles for the other two and call them down. Leave two big guys eating while me and Dal head upstairs to get ready.

7:20- Getting myself ready while Dal plays in his favorite spot-my bathroom cupboard (full of bandaids, lotion, q-tips, etc.) Jack comes upstairs and asks if he can have a shower and go potty! I say sure to both. :)

7:30- Nathan is dressed, get other two dressed and ready.

7:45- In the car. Wow! This is 5 minutes earlier than normal and Jack even had a shower in the meantime. I have no idea why this morning went so smoothly.

7:50-8:30- Drop Nathan off at school. We are on the playground before anyone-weird. Ms. Chambrone tells me something that Nathan told her yesterday about 90 degree angles and is impressed by how smart he is (I can say that because this is my blog and I want to remember that not because I am trying to brag) We stay after Nathan goes into class and Jack plays on the playground for a few minutes while I talk with my friend Tina.

8:30- Get home and put Dal down for nap. Jack asks to watch a movie so I let him. (Land Before Time the sequel-oh boy!) I sit down to eat breakfast and look at blogs/facebook, check online bank statements, etc. for a few minutes (oh and of course I have already checked my business email several times in the day at this point).

8:55- Clear breakfast dishes and wash them. Straighten up a little.

9:05- Change laundry and go into living room with Jack so I can fold laundy near him. Instead I decide I am cold and need to snuggle his warm little body so I hop up on the couch with him for a few minutes, then I fold the laundry.

9:30- Dal wakes up and we make my bed and straighten up upstairs.

9:40- Come downstairs and get Jack ready for a walk.

9:45- Go for our new "routine" walk- a figure 8 of our neighborhood which is hilly and gives me a pretty decent workout but not too much to make me not want to do it again. We collect "marbles" while we walk. There are these little plastic beads all over our neighborhood and we have no idea why they are there but we collect them everyday-Jack even brings a bag to put them in. I try to play 20 Questions with Jack since we are on Q week but he doesn't get it.

10:05- Get back home, regroup and head out the door again to go to music class. At this point I have just told Jack we are going for a drive. While getting in the car he asks where we are going. While backing out I tell him. He throws a fit. He does this every week-doesn't want to go, loves it when we get there. We also drive the figure 8 so I can find out how far it is. Just slightly more than a mile.

10:30-11:15- Music class. Jack does well today with sitting and participating. Dal doesn't cry like he did the last few weeks.

11: 35- Get home from music class and feed the boys lunch. I eat leftover pizza while feeding Dal a container of baby food. (After his chicken nuggets.)

11:55-Put boys down for nap (choir of angels singing from above-I love this part of the day). I go lay on my bed to read scriptures and another book for a while.

12:20- Head downstairs. I can hear Jack awake still. Lay down on the couch with my computer. I can still hear Jack awake. I go up and tell him to get in bed and go to sleep.

12:30- Work on my mom's business and my own interspersed. I add 2 or 3 new bracelets to my mom's site, add one of hers to mine, place orders, answer emails, etc. And do some blog reading, message boarding, etc. through this a little too. Finally about 1 Jack falls asleep after me going up again. Josh calls for his daily chat about 1:15.

2:00- Check mail, find that Josh's W2 finally came so I can finish our taxes. I sit down and plug it into our taxes right then and I am pleased to see that we are still going to have a big refund. Yay. (Goes straight to estimated taxes for 2009 but still is so nice to have.)

2:20- Wake both boys (I hate it when I have to do that) to go get Nathan.

2:30-Nathan gets out. He doesn't have his daily reading book so we have to go to his classroom to search for it. We finally find it. Play on the playground clear until 4 today (we usually stay about an hour). The boys play nice, I push Jack on the swing for a while but mostly I chat with my two mom friends, Karen and Tina (Tala isn't there today) and Dal hangs out near me most of the time because he is tired still.

4:07- Leaving playground and Jack announces that he doesn't have purple turtle toy with him. I drive the van to the gate of the playground and run to the sand box to look for it. I am not successful. Jack sobs-poor guy. (Did I mention that he lost his shoes on the playground this morning? Luckily they were there when we went back this afternoon).

4:15- Get home. Boys want to watch a movie so I let them. Me and Dal come to the kitchen to start dinner. I discover that I don't have one ingredient-Salsa Verde. Dal gets a little fussy but not as bad as normal lately at this time of night.

5:05- Josh gets home-20 minutes late tonight. I hand him Dal and run to the store to get the Salsa.

5:30- Eat dinner-Cafe Rio Salad (my favorite!!!!) Talk with the boys and have a relatively calm dinner for a change. Dal cries during it (he does a lot of that lately-what happened to my sweet, easy going baby?)

6:00- Clean up dinner. The boys help clear the table (sort of) and play in the backyard and all around us as we wash dishes and whatever.

6:20- Watch a few Mormon ads on You Tube with everyone.

6:30- Josh and the boys go upstairs to play boy things (something about repairing the van Dinkler and Dopple headed gratchet on the spaceship) while I have a break and read a book for 20 minutes.

6:50-Get Dal ready for bed. This is one of my favorite parts of the day. Except today he is being a pain because he is tired and won't sit still for me to get his diaper on. Finally I get him in his jammies, give him his pacifier and sit down in the rocking chair to read a story. Then we sing our song-"You are my sunshine" and when I say we, I mean it. He sings along.

7:05- Josh baths boys. I help get them in jammies. We read scriptures, pray, and I read bedtime stories (they only get one tonight because they lost their other two) and Nathan reads his nightly reading book. (Most nights Josh does bedtime stories but I wanted to tonight.)

7:30- Boys are in bed!!! Yay! Come down and help Josh finish cleaning up kitchen. Bake my nightly (well, not every night) Pilsbury cookie. Oh yummy yummy yummy!

7:45-8:15 Type this "day in the life" up. Jack has been out of bed only once. I imagine Nathan was asleep the moment his head hit the pillow.

Now, the rest of this day is anticipated since it hasn't happened yet: Talk and spend time with Josh-he might exercise while I talk to him, place orders, etc. Get in bed sometime between 9:30 and 10 and if I am not too tired I will read for a while.

There you have it. My day. Of course throw in there several business, calls, diaper changes, and all that sort of thing. This was a busier/more out the house day than most, but a really really good day. Glad Josh's random number generator picked a good one. :)

3 comments:

  1. That was SO cool to read! I have been thinking of doing one of those myself. But, I agree- making it real and not forcing it was my greatest challenge. I loved your very scientific approach to determining when. I may just have to use that idea when I do mine.

    You do a LOT in your day. It is amazing for me to remember how much busier our days are with babies, diaper changes, etc. You sound like such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea...I may copy you! I think the "marbles" are air soft pellets...whenever we go for walks the kids find tons of brightly colored little beads too and they come from all the kids in the neighborhoods and their air soft guns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I will have to steal it. I am thinking about it and I guess I am busier that I thought because in reading you day mine sounds very similar! Why does yours sound much more productive than mine feels most days?

    ReplyDelete